Re: Fixed-point scalars? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: Fixed-point scalars?
Date
List pgsql-general

On 10/17/06 22:14, Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2006, at 9:46 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
>>   SMALLINT(2)
>>   INTEGER(2)
>>   BIGINT(2)
>
>> Are these data-types not in PG, or am I missing something?
>

> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/datatype.html#DATATYPE-NUMERIC
>

> The docs list 2 byte, 4 byte, and 8 byte integer types.

Yes, I saw that, but did not know if other references were tucked
away on a different page.

>> Also, how do you calculate the size of a NUMERIC?
>>
>> Lastly, I know they are the same, but which is the
>> "preferred/standard" type: NUMERIC or DECIMAL?
>
> Later on, same page:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/datatype.html#DATATYPE-NUMERIC-DECIMAL
>

>> The actual storage requirement is two bytes for each group of four
>> decimal digits, plus eight bytes overhead.

Oh, now I see it.  My eyes must have glazed over that paragraph.

Eight bytes overhead?  *Wow*.

Combined with the lack of TINYINT, jumping from 4 bytes (which is
what the current RDBMS uses) to 8+2 or 8+4 for money values is
really going to increase record sizes.

> <snip />
>
>> The types decimal and numeric are equivalent.

Knew that.

>                                            Both types are part of
>> the SQL standard.

Didn't know if one was out of fashion or not.

> The PostgreSQL are quite extensive and helpful.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Is "common sense" really valid?