Re: autovacuum? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Shane Ambler
Subject Re: autovacuum?
Date
List pgsql-novice
Jan Danielsson wrote:
> Jan Danielsson wrote:
> [---]
>>    Quick questions: Do I simply need to enable autovacuum in the
>> postgresql.conf file, or is there more to it? Will it vacuum all
>> databases, or do I need to specify which ones? If so, how?
>
>    Ok, I finally found the relevant documentation. Seems I had to enable
> two other keywords in the postgresql.conf file. However, I still haven't
> figured out how I can actually verify that it *is* running the vacuum
> procedure. Any hints?

I'm not sure if there is a way.

I would think detailed enough logs should show it up but that may have
to be at debug level I am guessing.

The only one I would think of is to check the stats - I would use
pgAdmin and check the row counts on a table (these show up after a
vacuum) before and after you know a number of rows have been inserted
and see if that updates after a couple of minutes.