Re: Upgrading a database dump/restore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Upgrading a database dump/restore
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Mark Woodward wrote:
>> Mark,
>>
>>> No one could expect that this could happen by 8.2, or the release after
>>> that, but as a direction for the project, the "directors" of the
>>> PostgreSQL project must realize that the dump/restore is becomming like
>>> the old locking vacuum problem. It is a *serious* issue for PostgreSQL
>>> adoption and arguably a real design flaw.
>> "directors"?  (looks around)  Nobody here but us chickens, boss.
>>
>> If you're really interested in pg_upgrade, you're welcome to help out.
>> Gavin
>> Sherry, Zdenek, and Jonah Harris are working on it (the last separately,
>> darn
>> it).
>
> This is the most frustrating thing, I *wan't* to do these things, but I
> can't find any companies that are willing to pay me to do it, and having
> kids, I don't have the spare time to do it.

Well that pretty much sums it up doesn't. If the people / users that
want this feature, want it bad enough -- they will cough up the money to
get it developed.

If not.... then it likely won't happen because for most users in place
upgrades really isn't a big deal.

Joshua D. Drake

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240  Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL
solutionssince 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/