Re: Win32 hard crash problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Win32 hard crash problem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>> That log entry is the last (of consequence) entry before
>> the machine says:
>>> 2006-09-28 16:40:36.921  LOG:  received fast shutdown request
>> Oh?  That's pretty interesting on a Windows machine, because
>> AFAIK there wouldn't be any standard mechanism that might tie
>> into our homegrown signal facility.  Anyone have a theory on
>> what might trigger a SIGINT to the postmaster, other than
>> intentional pg_ctl invocation?
>
> pg_ctl will send SIGINT to the postmaster when the service is stopped,
> or when windows is shutting down.

O.k. that pretty much confirms my suspicion then. The SIGINT likely came
from the user rebooting windows.

> Do you get anything about the postgresql service in the eventlog within
> say a minute of this happening? (before or after)

Too late to say now :( I will have to follow up with them.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240  Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL
solutionssince 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/