Re: Are we done with sync-commit-defaults-to-off patch? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Are we done with sync-commit-defaults-to-off patch?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>> We've had that hack in there for almost a month now, and no strange
>> behaviors have turned up in the buildfarm.  So I'm inclined to think
>> it has served its purpose, and we should revert it before anyone else
>> comes to bogus conclusions about performance.

> I thought the idea was more to have people playing the home game to test it
> out. They're much more likely to do something unexpected than the build farm.

True, but I hope some of that has happened already.

At this point I feel that we can't let the default-off patch persist
into beta, which means there is not a lot more testing we can get from
it.  The scenario I'm foreseeing is somebody runs performance tests on
8.3beta (failing to realize that he's testing sync-commit off),
publishes some amazing numbers, and then the release version is a lot
worse.  That will be a public-relations disaster.

We can do everything we can to encourage beta-testers to test the
sync-commit-off mode, but I don't want people to not know what they
are testing.