Re: pgsql: We're going to have to spell dotless i - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: pgsql: We're going to have to spell dotless i
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Hannu Krosing wrote:
> Ühel kenal päeval, P, 2006-09-24 kell 14:56, kirjutas Markus Schaber:
>
>> Hi, Hannu,
>>
>> Hannu Krosing wrote:
>>

>>> Are you sure it's UCS-4 ? I've always thought that XML is what is given
>>> in <xml > tag, and utf-8 if no charset is given.
>>>
>> You have to distinguish between the supported charset, and the document
>> encoding.
>>

> UCS-4 and UTF-8 are both encodings for UNICODE
>
> see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-32

If we want to quote references, we should quote the XML standard. For
example, see here to see the exact charset supported by XML:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml11-20060816/#charsets.

A little lower down it defines the encodings allowed too.

cheers

andrew