Re: 'configure --disable-shared' and 'make check' - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: 'configure --disable-shared' and 'make check'
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> It's at least theoretically possible that you could link selected PL
> objects into a static backend build, but no one is particularly
> interested in expending effort on it.  There don't seem to be any
> platforms anymore on which --disable-shared is actually important.
> (Should we just get rid of it?)

There is just one case where I think static linking might make some
sense: pg_dump for use during an upgrade. Unfortunately, at least on
Linux I found it to be close to impossible, as it uses some things that
are apparently only available dynamically - I forget the details.

So basically, I would say yes, let's just drop --disable-shared.

cheers

andrew