Re: Large tables (was: RAID 0 not as fast as - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Markus Schaber
Subject Re: Large tables (was: RAID 0 not as fast as
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi, Luke,

Luke Lonergan wrote:

> Since PG's heap scan is single threaded, the seek rate is equivalent to a
> single disk (even though RAID arrays may have many spindles), the typical
> random seek rates are around 100-200 seeks per second from within the
> backend.  That means that as sequential scan performance increases, such as
> happens when using large RAID arrays, the random_page_cost will range from
> 50 to 300 linearly as the size of the RAID array increases.

Do you think that adding some posix_fadvise() calls to the backend to
pre-fetch some blocks into the OS cache asynchroneously could improve
that situation?

I could imagine that e. G. index bitmap scans could profit in the heap
fetching stage by fadvise()ing the next few blocks.

Maybe asynchroneous I/O could be used for the same benefit, but
posix_fadvise is less() intrusive, and can easily be #define'd out on
platforms that don't support it.

Combine this with the Linux Kernel I/O Scheduler patches (readahead
improvements) that were discussed here in summer...

Regards,
Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org