Re: problem referencing an attrib which is not unique - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Vic Rowan
Subject Re: problem referencing an attrib which is not unique
Date
List pgsql-sql
Thanks a lot Patrick and Richard for the help! Especially about the details that I hadnt even asked for, like 2 chars for language and I guess it makes very much sense in considering these for situations like EN-US or EN-UK. It was really insightful.

On 2/7/06, Patrick JACQUOT <patrick.jacquot@anpe.fr> wrote:
Vic Rowan wrote:

> [...]
I think you need three tables

One to list the allowable events, which will be used as reference
CREATE TABLE eventlist (
  event_id varchar(30) PRIMARY-KEY
);

One to give the messages translations
CREATE TABLE messagetranslations(
event-id varchar(30) references eventlist (event_id) NOT NULL
language char(2) not null
event-translation varchar(250)
PRIMARY KEY (event_id, language)
);

and your log table
CREATE TABLE logs (
  id int NOT NULL,
  event_id varchar(30) REFERENCES eventlist (event_id) NOT NULL,
  placeholder_values varchar(250),
  priority varchar(20) NOT NULL,
  timestamp Date NOT NULL,
  primary key (id)
);

btw,  event-id could be just an integer. If, as I  understand, event-id
is so large a string,
it's probably because it contains the english name of the event.
Just put it in an occurrence of messagetranslation, with language = 'EN'
other thing : with only 2 chars as language id, how do you distinguish
EN-US and EN-UK
(or whatever id  the latter can have assigned)?.

hth
P. Jacquot

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend