Re: 8.2 beta blockers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paesold
Subject Re: 8.2 beta blockers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> I see the following items standing between us and putting out 8.2beta1:
>
> * Set client encoding based on OS environment - Peter E.
[snip]
> Personally I'm willing to commit to making the VALUES-list docs and
> userlock replacement code happen tomorrow.  Bruce seems to be close
> on the release notes, and if the other two items aren't ready, well,
> beta1 can ship without 'em.

If you talk about the "client encoding thing" here...

Since the client encoding change is a feature addition and a behavioral
change, I think this should really be done before going to beta, IMHO. Btw.
was there any mailing list discussion on this item? Other than this:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2003-05/msg00737.php.

I really hope that this change will only affect psql, not pg_dump, as Peter
wrote in 2003. I would strongly object to such a change (as much as my
voice counts). The current behavior of dumping with the database encoding
is exactly the right thing to do. I have a database in UTF-8 here. Using
any LATIN based encoding for dumping the database will simply break,
because there are always characters that don't map into the encoding.

Even with psql there could be issues with existing scripts, but I see a
benefit at least.

Best Regards
Michael Paesold