Re: [pgsql-www] Developer's Wiki - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lukas Kahwe Smith
Subject Re: [pgsql-www] Developer's Wiki
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Gregory Stark wrote:

>>> It should be readable by everyone, but editable only by authorized
>>> users.
>>
>> I think the lessons of wikipedia is precisely that you *don't* want to
>> add
>> such barriers. You want to let people add stuff pretty much freely. That
>> encourages people to get involved and put up information.
>
> I don't agree, you should also look at the recent post and fork by one
> of wikipedia's co-founders. The developers wiki should only be edited by
> authorized users.
>
> Now, getting authorized should be easy as reasonably possible, but
> having a wholesale editing orgy on the wiki responsible for tracking
> postgresql developer information is not a good idea.

I agree.
Banning IPs is simply not feasible.
I think a minor moderation step during the signup is little overhead and
ensures we know who changed what etc. This is obviously not only
important for blaming but also great for talking to people about a given
page when it comes time to update it.

I think however there should be a "section" that is free for all. It
should be clearly labeled with parts are free for all and which are not.
It should be easy to move pages from one section to the other and back.

Essentially I would say the wiki should be open to anyone who signs up,
however there should be pages that are only writeable to people inside a
special group. I am not sure how the ACL works in the current wiki. SOme
wikis allow you to define ACL's by page, some allow you to create
subwikis with different ACLs etc.

regards,
Lukas