Re: Mid cycle release? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: Mid cycle release?
Date
Re: Mid cycle release?  (Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith@pooteeweet.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I know that this would be completely out of the norm. However, would it
> be worth considering having a mid cycle release for 8.3?
>
> Basically the release would focus on:
>
> Updateable views
> Bitmap indexes
> Recursive queries
>
> We would release in June?

Interesting idea but we already have one of the fastest release cycles
of all database systems and some people would like to see a larger cycle.
In addition to that this plan might hold back some people from upgrading
to 8.2 which solves quite a few critical issues with features we
marketed/introduced during the past 8.x cycles and are really getting
polished and usable now (partitioning,pitr,...) and 8.2 gives quite a
nice performance boost for a lot of workloads too.

On a personal note - while those features might be nice to market for
some of use others would like to see very different things (like proper
encoding/character set/collation support or plan invalidation).
That might lead to a more "that and this feature must be in" based
release cycle which might not work out that well in practise ...

Stefan