Re: Buildfarm vs. Linux Distro classification - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Buildfarm vs. Linux Distro classification
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Lately there have been some buildfarm registrations for "Debian
> testing/unstable" or similarly described machines. I have kicked back
> against these, as the description seems to me to be far too open ended.
> Likewise, I also have difficulty with Gentoo because a version there
> seems to describe a build system but not any reasonably bounded set of
> software.  The whole point of classifying buildfarm machines is so that
> we can pin down problems to some class of machines, so I'm not really
> sure what I should do in these cases that essentially represent highly
> mobile targets.
>
> Thoughts?

Well, the one downside to kicking these machines is that we won't get
representation from the varying glibc/gcc combinations. It *almost*
seems that we care more about:

Archicteture
32/64bit (I could be running 32bit on my Athlon64)
GCC version
glibc version

?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> cheers
>
> andrew

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240   Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL
solutionssince 1997             http://www.commandprompt.com/