Re: phppgadmin not working under v. 8.1 - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From barbara figueirido
Subject Re: phppgadmin not working under v. 8.1
Date
List pgsql-novice
Guido Barosio escribió:
Pretty often we face users confusing the listen_addresses param to
what pg_hba.conf functionality provides.
Obviously, a user getting involved with documentation (good rtfm
person)  would make a difference.   But seems that in general, the
wildcard '*' translates into the user mind as  "this will represent a
security hazzard, so I will hardcode my ipaddress", and seriously, *I
don't know why* this allways fails.
you are right and I apologize, I should have delved deeper into the documentation, which in fact I read somewhat hastily; but anyway, you should recognize that this *is* confusing:

(from the postgresql 8.1 documentation: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/runtime-config-connection.html#GUC-LISTEN-ADDRESSES )
listen_addresses (string)

Specifies the TCP/IP address(es) on which the server is to listen for connections from client applications. The value takes the form of a comma-separated list of host names and/or numeric IP addresses. The special entry * corresponds to all available IP interfaces. If the list is empty, the server does not listen on any IP interface at all, in which case only Unix-domain sockets can be used to connect to it. The default value is localhost, which allows only local "loopback" connections to be made. This parameter can only be set at server start. ---
if there were nothing of "hostnames and/or numeric IP addresses", the line reading "all available IP interfaces" would acquire its full sense and one might (so I think) notice at a glance the reference to interfaces; as it implies that you *should* enter hostnames or IP addresses, one might think it correct to give the interface's IP address -- which proved wrong, at least in my case.

Obviously this is no excuse for not having taken care of the differences of postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf, which I'll try to bear in mind in future....

Tank you again to all of you,

Bárbara