Re: phppgadmin not working under v. 8.1 - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From barbara figueirido
Subject Re: phppgadmin not working under v. 8.1
Date
List pgsql-novice
Tom Lane escribió:
> If you don't want to say listen_addresses = '*' then you need to specify
> the exact IP address of your machine's network interface in
> listen_addresses.  Unless you have multiple IP addresses and know what
> they are and why you want to distinguish between them, just write '*'.

The problem lied, in fact, in the postgresql.conf file; I wanted to
limit the range of ip addresses to my own private network; so, after
trying the net address (without mask, initially, as already posted), I
tried to correct it with some of the suggestions received here (tank you
all for that, I deeply  appreciate your involvement).

But even setting listen_addresses to the exact  ip address of the
machine hosting the server did not correct the problem (for the record:
problem was, phppgadmin rejected all login attempts, even though I was
logging with the only normal user created by the system).
> The other thing that enters into this is the contents of pg_hba.conf.
> An entry like 192.168.1.0/24 would be pretty reasonable in pg_hba.conf,
> if you want to let in just connections from your local LAN.
>
>             regards, tom lane

I overlooked this remark, that's why I was trying to limit access from
postgresql.conf

In the end, thanks to the invaluable help of Guido Barosio, who went to
the trouble of guiding me in the process of parsing all possible
configurations, both for postgres as well as for phppgadmin and even
apache, we discovered that the faulty configuration was precisely the
line containing the listen_addresses directive; setting it to '*', as
suggested here, immediately corrected de problem, and I am now able to
view and manipulate the data from my web browser through phppgadmin as
usual.....  with great relief for my eyes and fingers... :-)

Once again, thank you all for the ideas, I hope to be able sometime to
help others as you did.

Barbara