Re: Win32 hard crash problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Win32 hard crash problem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> It sounds to me like we don't actually know that, because the client
> doesn't know how to restart the postmaster without rebooting the OS.
> (Josh says "pg_ctl stop" doesn't work in this state, which is a tad
> interesting in itself, because that doesn't go through a connection
> request.)  It would be useful to try killing off the postgres processes
> via task manager and then see if a new postmaster can be started and if
> things then behave normally, or if a reboot is truly needed.

Right, and I have asked that the next time this happens that they try
and use the task manager to kill the process.

> The bottom line here is that all we have so far are client-side
> observations ("I get this message") and we have no clue what state
> the postmaster thinks it's in.  We really need more information.

Yes, unfortunately there isn't much more to be had for another 2 weeks ;)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>             regards, tom lane

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240   Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL
solutionssince 1997             http://www.commandprompt.com/