Re: Win32 hard crash problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Win32 hard crash problem
Date
Re: Win32 hard crash problem  (Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> writes:
>> On 5-Sep-06, at 6:05 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> Yes they are using a connection pool. A java based one.
>
>> Since java has it's own protocol implementation, this is totally
>> unrelated to any libpq error messages.
>
> Another important point that we've not been given information on:
> when pgAdmin/libpq starts failing like this, exactly what is happening
> with the connection pool?  Is it still able to issue queries, and
> if not what happens exactly?

No, when this happens everything stops. The only thing they get back is
that message until they reboot the server. The web app (via
java/connection pool), pgAdmin both give the same error.

Which now that I think about it, seems odd if the message is coming from
libpq yes?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>             regards, tom lane

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240   Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL
solutionssince 1997             http://www.commandprompt.com/