Re: Getting a move on for 8.2 beta - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Getting a move on for 8.2 beta
Date
Re: Getting a move on for 8.2 beta  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers

Gregory Stark wrote:
> Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org> writes:
>

>> I assume other bug trackers have a similar feature...
>>

> Sadly no. That's precisely why I was pushing debbugs so hard earlier.
>
> The weakest of them will send a content-free email saying *something* happened
> to your issue and you have to click a link to find out what. Bugzilla is one
> step above that: it includes the latest comment though it doesn't thread
> comments and it can't handle replies. RT is intended to be email based but it
> requires a fair amount of work to get the transparent behaviour you want.
>
> Generally they make you click a link the email and fill in your comments in a
> text widget in a browser. That might be acceptable (not to me personally
> but...) when you're talking about requests made in some structured environment
> where requests are supposed to go through specific workflow. It'll never fly
> if you want it to track all the development discussions. I don't see old
> school unix hackers used to discussing things in email switching over to some
> web based interface to replace development mailing lists.

Bz has a contrib module which I believe is supposed to handle replies.
I have not used it and don't know how good it is, but there is nothing
to say we can't make it work if we want to.

Maybe you need to take a new look at bz, instead of retailing out of
date info.

As for remarks about old school unix hackers not liking web interfaces,
I think Tom's recent remarks relating to the 21st century were more than
apposite.

cheers

andrew