Re: [Pgsqlrpms-hackers] Safer auto-initdb for RPM init - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: [Pgsqlrpms-hackers] Safer auto-initdb for RPM init
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 07:21:50AM -0700, Joe Conway wrote:
>> We also decided to turn off the init script execution entirely. The DBAs
>> were more comfortable with a manual database startup for a production
>> machine anyway (this is the way they typically handle Oracle databases
>> also). They get paged if the server ever goes down unplanned, and in
>> that event they like to check things out before bringing the db back up.
>> For planned outages, database startup is simply part of the plan.
>
> I'd *really* like to have an official way to just disable the initdb
> code entirely.

I am not exactly sure why we initdb at all. IMHO it would be better if
the start script just checked if there was a cluster. If not, it
wouldn't start, it would error with: You do not have a cluster, please
read man page on initdb.

Joshua D. Drake

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240   Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL
solutionssince 1997             http://www.commandprompt.com/