Re: Is it possible (postgresql/mysql) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From louis gonzales
Subject Re: Is it possible (postgresql/mysql)
Date
List pgsql-general
Harald,
I had thought of that, but I wasn't sure if there was/is a way to create
the index's upon table creation, as it appears is possible with MySQL.

As for the replacing of varchar(xx) with a text data type, why do you
recommend this?  I want to stay as close as I can to the original
code...but if you think there is a good reason and that it won't
conflict with something else, then I'd like to know.  Granted,
varchar(xx) is nothing but a string of characters, potentially xx in
length, and a text datatype is also just a string of characters, I would
wonder if possibly there would be a string comparison that would treat
these different on the single fact of different datatype?

Thanks for your help Harald!