Re: 8.2 features status - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: 8.2 features status
Date
Re: 8.2 features status
Re: 8.2 features status
List pgsql-hackers
>> http://projects.commandprompt.com/public/pgsql/browser/tags/REL8_1_4/pgsql
>>
>> What are you looking at Alvaro?
>
> Exactly that URL, but this wasn't there when I looked.  Maybe it was
> being regenerated at that time?

Yeah it gets regenerated every 4 hours or so.

> But I don't know why you are ignoring my comments that it's broken.  For
> an example, go here:
>
> http://projects.commandprompt.com/public/pgsql/browser/branches/REL8_1_STABLE/pgsql/src

No one is ignoring you.

> Note that the DEVELOPERS file shows a revision 5684, message "Typo fix".
> Click on that 5684.  It'll show you two items, revs 23689 and 5684.
> First problem, where did that 23689 come from?  It wasn't there in the
> parent dir.  Now open that changeset (click on the [23689]).  Look at
> the list of files -- it only has errcodes.sgml in it.  No DEVELOPERS,
> which is the file we want to track!  Furthermore, it doesn't show any
> diff at all.

O.k. So it isn't perfect. It isn't like I expected to be. However many
people find it useful, myself included.

> I don't know what on earth is going on but I surely won't waste my time
> checking that repo again since it seems pretty useless.

O.k., I am not sure who put oil in your pudding, but nobody is asking
you to use it. Use the CVSWeb from PostgreSQL.Org, which is actually
what *you* should be using.

I would expect that if the SVN/Trac repo were determined to be used it
would be used as an entry point and that explicit instructions would
also be made that the authoritative source of the code is the CVSWeb
repository.

>>> Doesn't Trac have a CVS plugin?
>> No, like the rest of the world, Trac has moved on from CVS ;)
>
> There are still a lot of projects using CVS.  We happen to be one of
> them.

Unfortunately that is true.

> It's pretty damn useful to be able to use the Trac facilities to mark
> tickets as "fixed in revision such-and-such", which allows us to track
> more carefully the bugs fixed and the features added.  But if the repo
> is useless, then the rest of Trac loses a lot of its usefulness as well.

O.k. but no one is suggesting that we use Trac as a bug tracker, or at
least I wasn't. All I was suggesting was the ability to help viewing of
specific files as listed dependencies.

> Precisely my point.  But if the reference doesn't work, then it's just a
> plain Wiki like any other.  I wouldn't want to waste my time on that.

I just threw the trac out there because it was already setup. I don't
care if anyone uses it or not. Nor am I suggesting that it *should* be used.

Lastly if you review this thread you would see that Andrew and I had
already decided to wait until after Linux World to actually propose
something.

It may be Trac it may be something else. For example, I am also looking
at Launchpad. There is also something very similar to trac that is built
on ruby on rails that also integrates with mailing lists.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240   Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL
solutionssince 1997             http://www.commandprompt.com/