Re: Practical maximums (was Re: PostgreSQL theoretical - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: Practical maximums (was Re: PostgreSQL theoretical
Date
List pgsql-general

Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 14:51, Ron Johnson wrote:
>>
>> Scott Marlowe wrote:

>>> I'm certain you can backup direct to tape, as I've done it in the past
>>> with postgresql.  This was in the day of 4 gig 4 mm tape drives...
>> Sure.  That's why tar is named *Tape* ARchive.
>>
>> Going along with the example of the 4GB 4mm tape drive, and to
>> simplify, we are *not* using compression (neither on the drive or
>> s/w gzip or bzip):
>>
>> Say we have a 7GB database.  Is there a way to way to use 2 tape
>> drives...  Argh, I guess not, since the Unix pipe mentality presumes
>> that the mode of operation will be:
>>   $ pg_dump /some/database | tar cvfz /dev/st0/db.tgz
>>
>> What would be darned useful (but only, I think, with heavy usage of
>> tablespaces) is:
>>   $ pg_tapedump /some/database /dev/st0,/dev/st1,/dev/st2,/dev/st3
>
> Oh, I see where you were headed.
>
> I've found a bit here and there googling about for multiplex and tar,
> and found an IO:Multiplex module for perl.
>
> I don't see why someone couldn't make use of it to create some kind of
> system where you'd do:
>
> pg_dump dbname | perl mulitiplexscript device1,device2,device3,devicen
>
> No need for postgresql to support it directly.  Restoring would likewise
> just be a reverse operation.

Interesting.  Many thanks.  Scary though that it hasn't been touched
in 30 months.

With multiple SCSI cards, each with it's own tape drive, this
immensely speeds up the backup operation.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Is "common sense" really valid?