Re: [PERFORM] 7.3.2 pg_restore very slow - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: [PERFORM] 7.3.2 pg_restore very slow
Date
List pgsql-novice
Saranya Sivakumar wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to back up a full copy of one of our databases (14G) and
> restore it on another server. Both databases run 7.3.2 version.
> Though the restore completed successfully, it took 9 hours for the
> process to complete. The destination server runs Fedora Core 3 with
> 512 MB RAM and has 1 processor.  I have also deferred referential
> intergrity checks during the restore. I tried to tune some parameters
> in the config file, but it still takes 9 hours.

Firstly, you should upgrade to the most recent version of 7.3.x (7.3.15)
- that's a *lot* of bug-fixes you are missing

Then, I would temporarily disable fsync and increase sort_mem and
checkpoint_segments. What you're trying to do is make a single process
run as fast as possible, so allow it to grab more resources than you
normally would.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd