Re: 8.2 features status - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: 8.2 features status
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On 8/4/06, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>> It's a pity that some expectations have been raised about features that
>> we haven't seen patches for, MERGE/UPSERT & recursive queries
>
> Honestly, I've only had four people say it would be nice to have
> hierarchical queries (one of them wasn't even a PostgreSQL user).

You obviously aren't dealing with the number of people I am :) I get
this question all the time.

> I agree.  The real problem is that we don't look at things in a
> business-like, "what are we going to have in the next release"
> perspective.  Being as it's an OSS community, we just see what patches
> come in and we apply what we choose... then pick which ones we see as
> "major features" and announce them.
>
> I'd like to be mistaken here, but I don't think we've ever really had
> release planning in regards to features.  We can always sit down after
> 8.2 is finalized and plan what are we doing for 8.3 and go from there.

The only way we will get even a reasonable about of release planning is
for the commercial entities involved around PostgreSQL to put a lot more
resources into actually developing PostgreSQL.

Joshua D. Drake

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240   Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL
solutionssince 1997             http://www.commandprompt.com/