Re: Time to scale up? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Paul Ramsey
Subject Re: Time to scale up?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
You know what, I take it back, www.postgreql.org is really quite
acceptable.  The "About" text is not necessarily well focused, but in
general the information organization is leaps-and-bounds better than it
used to be, to the point that anyone who really wants to find something
has little excuse not to unless they are a drooling miscreant.

My apologies.

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Yes, that's what I mean, only at www.postgresql.org and with integrated
> documentation as well as packaging.
>
> The "PostgreSQL is a kernel" metaphor breaks down pretty fast, given
> that PostgreSQL sans add-ons is quite useful, to the extent that (as
> many many people have previously written) the fact that add-ons even
> *exist* is news to lots of PostgreSQL users.  This is not a
> misconception someone trying to use "Linux" (just the kernel) would ever
> run into.
>
> I think any honest assessment of the "software evaluation experience"
> around PostgreSQL would have to admit that (a) people start at the main
> PostgreSQL web site and (b) the existence and overall utility of the
> various add-ons are pretty well hidden and (c) if they were less well
> hidden people might have a better initial impression of the available
> capabilities of the overall product.
>
> Pointing out that your site over there does a better job of it does not
> make the main site any less unhelpful.

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>
>>> If we want PostgreSQL to "look bigger" from the outside, it is not
>>> necessary to actually *make* it bigger, "looking" bigger is sufficient.
>>>
>>> Imagine a download page that included:
>>>
>>> postgresql-database-8.1.4
>>> postgresql-replication-1.0.2
>>> postgresql-gis-1.1.3