Re: monolithic distro - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: monolithic distro
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> Yeah, but if PostgreSQL decides to endorse one monolithic distro in
>> the way I described it could give that project hopefully the necessary
>> lift. And the ultimate goal is obviously that some of those newbies
>> coming by way of the monolithic distro turn into people that bring
>> ressources to the PostgreSQL platform/ecosystem.
>
> Should Linus endorse (or does he?) one distro of Linux, or should they
> not live on their own merits?

No he does not.

I believe leaving the "expert" opinions to the "experts" is a good
argument. I also believe that anyone on this list has a right to express
their opinion and make it known.

However, as a group of which I am a part of, I do not believe we
(PostgreSQL.Org) should be endorsing anything but the core project.

I for example, will endorse PL/Java. Not because of anything to do with
Dave but because of the research I have done to date, PL/Java is more
mature.

I also currently endorse Slony-I for 8.1 installations but that is only
because we don't have a 8.1 release yet (4 weeks W00t!).

I on the other hand, do not endorse Perl or anything to do with Perl :)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> ----
> Email . scrappy@hub.org                              MSN . scrappy@hub.org
> Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240   Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL
solutionssince 1997             http://www.commandprompt.com/