Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Csaba Nagy wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-07-13 at 15:29, Stephen Frost wrote:
>> It's not the PostgreSQL project's problem, that's true, but it certainly
>> becomes an issue for distributions.  Java as a PL ends up being a pretty
>> odd case..  If there isn't anything in the PL code itself which forces a
>> dependency beyond gcj then it might be possible to distribute it.  Also
>> allowing the PL to use a different JVM shouldn't be a problem so long as
>> nothing is distributed which depends on the alternate JVM.  The GPL is
>> all about distribution and so I'm not sure that it would actually be a
>> problem for an end-user to use Sun's JVM with GPL'd Java code.
>
> Now I'm completely confused... what GPL code ? Is PL/Java licensed under
> the GPL ? Or what GPL code do you talk about ?

What was a mistake on my part. I was tired when I wrote the part about GPL.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> The PL/Java code is likely only dependent on the JVM specification,
> which does not put any restriction on how you must license your code, so
> PL/Java can be licensed in any way the author wants, including BSD.
>
> The distribution part is also no problem as I see it, as only the build
> tools are not BSD, and they are available for free (including the Sun
> JDK) and they don't restrict what should be the license of the code you
> compile. This can only be a problem for purists like GPL zealots or
> perhaps debian, otherwise is not that hard to download and install the
> SUN JDK on a build machine... you don't need to distribute the JDK, only
> the runtime JVM, which you actually can do (including again the Sun
> runtime). So I can't see problems again from the packager point of
> view... except purists might put a separate pl/Java module in some
> "non-free" repository given the dependency on some "non-free" runtime...
>
> Cheers,
> Csaba.

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240   Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL
solutionssince 1997             http://www.commandprompt.com/