Re: The name of the game (was Re: postgre linkage - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Anastasios Hatzis
Subject Re: The name of the game (was Re: postgre linkage
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Still watching advocacy list and want to tell you that I very much
appreciate this discussion.

Ron Mayer wrote:
> How can it be too late?  If Borland/Inprise/Borland can do it
> and if AT&T/SBC/AT&T can do it, couldn't this project do it too?
Yes. In way of reverting back to an earlier name makes me by far less
headache like changing to a completely different new name.
This is especially because many people - at least here in Germany -
still use "Postgres" because they don't want to discrace themselves by
pronouncing PostgreSQL wrongly. I like the message the 'SQL' carries,
however most people, that know what SQL is and respect it, do know about
the strong SQL compliance of PostgreSQL.

Last not least, it would be like taking a bow toward the history of this
great project.

> But surely it'd be a better idea for everyone if for 8.2 or 9.0
> or whatever if the project formally made Postgres not only an
> acceptable but a preferred name for the project, wouldn't it?
I appreciate your suggestion. Even if we would not do a big hoopla on
the name reverting.

Well, due to some expierence with changing name of software: Will there
be any implication in source-code, installation procedures or running
production systems?

Anastasios