Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Hallgren
Subject Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Thomas,
>
> I'm starting to have second thoughts about this suggestion.  I was
> enthusiastic about it at the summit, but I was unaware of the sheer size
> of PL/Java.  38,000 lines of code is 8% of the total size of Postgresql
> ... for *one* PL.
>
> Dave Cramer acquainted me with some of the difficulties of doing a Java
> PL today, and I understand why it needs to be that large.  However,
> 38,000 lines of code -- much of it in a non-C language -- presents a
> possible debugging/maintenance major headache, especially if you someday
> left the project for some reason.

OK. You're the one that suggested this submission attempt. There's not much point in
pursuing it if you have second thoughts.
> Maybe we do need to look at a plug-in build tool, instead.>
Right, something that would allow PL/Java to participate in a build farm. That would be cool
and also resolve a some of the issues.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren