Re: regresssion script hole - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: regresssion script hole
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
>> The question isn't whether is succeeds, it's how long it takes to
>> succeed. When I increased the pg_regress timeout it actually went
>> through the whole regression test happily. I suspect we have 2 things
>> eating up the 60s timeout here: loading the timezone db and resolving
>> whatever it is we are trying to resolve.
>
> The behavior of loading the whole TZ database was there for awhile
> before anyone noticed; I believe it could only be responsible for a
> few seconds.  So the failed DNS responses must be the problem.  Could
> we get a ktrace with timestamps on the syscalls to confirm that?
>
> Of course the $64 question is *why* is 8.0 trying to resolve that name,
> particularly seeing that the later branches apparently aren't.

hmm maybe the later branches are trying to resolve that too - but only
the combination of the TZ database loading + the failed DNS-queries is
pushing the startup time over the 60 second limit on this (quite slow) box ?

I will try to verify what the later branches are doing exactly ...

Stefan