Re: List of countries (WAS: National Number to text conversion) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nis Jorgensen
Subject Re: List of countries (WAS: National Number to text conversion)
Date
List pgsql-general
brian ally wrote:

> Thanks, Nis. Here's my revised list, using those (errors of letter-case
> entirely my own, owing to my hazy understanding of capitilisation for
> hyphenated french nouns):

With the risk of getting horribly off topic, you may want to be
consistent between the languages in whether you use the "official" name
or the "common" name.

In general, this problem arises in cases where the official name is
controversial ("TAÏWAN, PROVINCE DE CHINE"), much longer than the common
one ("IRAN, RÉPUBLIQUE ISLAMIQUE D'"), differs in spelling from the
common form ("VIET NAM") or is less likely to be immediately recognized
("KOREA, REPUBLIC OF").

/Nis