Querying from two tables as if they were appended - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From David Gaudine
Subject Querying from two tables as if they were appended
Date
List pgsql-novice
I have two tables with an identical layout.  The difference is that one
has data from this year and one has data from last year.  For a
simplified example let's call them "table05" and "table06", and say that
each has a single column called "name".  So we have

table05:
     David
     Bob

table06:
     David
     John
     Paul

I want to select all rows from both tables, so the result (order not
important) is
     David
     Bob
     David
     John
     Paul

This is surely trivial, but I read the section about joined tables and
it shows only how to give a result that has 2 columns, like

test=# select * from table05,table06;
 name  | name
-------+-------
 David | David
 David | John
 David | Paul
 Bob   | David
 Bob   | John
 Bob   | Paul

One solution would to to create a third table and copy the first two
into it, but since the two tables change frequently this is
undesirable.  How can I do it by querying the existing tables?

Note:  This example is oversimplified.  The real query will also test
other columns, like for example
    select * from ( however I do the above) where age > 25
so the number of rows in the result will not be the sum of the number of
rows in each table.

David