Re: Performance MSSql vs PostgreSql - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Performance MSSql vs PostgreSql
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
ZZZZ,

> Default for both MSSQL and PostgreSql  no performance turning was done
> to the configurations

Try setting work_mem to 8096, or 16192.

> I'm not using the server time but the clients time from the start of the
> query and time to return the resulting dataset to Foxpro.  The code is
> on Channel 9,  Its just a simple loop to see have fast it runs.

Aha, so this could be an ODBC driver speed difference as well.  I
wouldn't be surprised.

> I was not looking at the server response time but what the client/user
> will experience.  To me how the fast the server does something kinda
> meaningless if User can't see the added speed because one of the other
> layers is slowing things down.

Certainly.

>> Finally, given your overall times I see that stuff is *very* slow on
>> VMware.  I'd expect that query to return in milleseconds on both
>> databases!
>>

> I stated the test setup on channel 9 this is all running on my HP zd7000
> laptop 3.2 gigahertz p4, 54000 rpm hard drive. My development
> environment runs in VMware 5.0  it slows things down a bit but not allot.

Yes, so that's part of things.  I think the bigger part is ODBC and
FoxPro overhead.  I'd be interested to see the time just on the database
server.

--Josh