Re: Applying TOAST to CURRENT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Applying TOAST to CURRENT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck) writes:
>     Hmmm - thinking about that it doesn't sound bad if we allways
>     create a secondary relation at CREATE TABLE time, but NOT the
>     index  for  it.  And at VACUUM time we create the index if it
>     doesn't exist AND there is external stored data.

Don't much like that --- what if the user doesn't run vacuum for
a good long while?  Could be doing a lot of sequential scans over
a pretty large toast file...

If the 16K for an empty btree index really bothers you, let's
attack that head-on.  I don't see why a freshly created index
couldn't be zero bytes, and the metadata page gets created on
first store into the index.

>     The  toaster  needs  to  use sequential scans on the external
>     table until the next vacuum  run,  but  index  usage  allways
>     depends on vacuum so that's not a real issue from my PoV.

What makes you say that?  Indexes will be used on a never-vacuumed
table with the current planner.