UTF-8 vs ASCII - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Prasanth
Subject UTF-8 vs ASCII
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hi,

Seems like by default database is created using UTF-8 when we use
createdb in 8.1.3.

Is there any big advantage of using UTF-8 rather than ASCII? Will there
be any performance difference when performing string operations?

Does the string functions convert every thing to UTF-8 before performing
the operations?

Surely it is going to increase by database size if we switch to UTF-8.

All the characters in my database should be ASCII. I use JDBC so will
there be any performance gain as the JDBC does not have to perform the
conversion?

Thanks,
-Prasanth.