Re: Large (8M) cache vs. dual-core CPUs - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From David Boreham
Subject Re: Large (8M) cache vs. dual-core CPUs
Date
List pgsql-performance
>My personal favorite pg platform at this time is one based on a 2 socket, dual core ready mainboard with 16 DIMM slots
combinedwith dual core AMD Kx's.

Right. We've been buying Tyan bare-bones boxes like this.
It's better to go with bare-bones than building boxes from bare metal
because the cooling issues are addressed correctly.

Note that if you need a large number of machines, then Intel
Core Duo may give the best overall price/performance because
they're cheaper to run and cool.