Re: What is the best plan to upgrade PostgreSQL from an ancient version? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: What is the best plan to upgrade PostgreSQL from an ancient version?
Date
Re: What is the best plan to upgrade PostgreSQL from an ancient version?  (Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au>)
List pgsql-general
"Dann Corbit" <DCorbit@connx.com> writes:
> My notion is to do a character mode database dump as SQL statements and
> then load into the new version by execution of psql against the sql
> STATEMENTS.
> What are the "gotchas" we can expect with this approach?
> When I say 'ancient' I mean v7.1.3 and the target is v8.3.5.

Yoi, that is a long way.  As already noted, you should use the 8.3
version of pg_dump to pull the data from the old server; this should
smooth some of the bumps, but there will be more.

Also, experiment with using the -d or -D options to pg_dump (ie
dump data via INSERT not COPY) if you have problems.  I forget exactly
when we got rid of the last risk factors for COPY-style dumps, but it
might've been after 7.1.  This'll be slower though.

I don't have too much else to add to what was already said, except
to reinforce the advice to test your applications before you do the live
migration.  You're almost certain to hit some compatibility issues.

            regards, tom lane