Re: Sun Fire T2000 and PostgreSQL 8.1.3 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: Sun Fire T2000 and PostgreSQL 8.1.3
Date
List pgsql-performance
Leigh Dyer wrote:
> Luke Lonergan wrote:
>
>> Leigh,
>>
>> On 4/5/06 9:23 PM, "Leigh Dyer" <leigh@eclinic.com.au> wrote:
>>
>>> We've got a Sun Fire V40z and it's quite a nice machine -- 6x 15krpm
>>> drives, 4GB RAM, and a pair of Opteron 850s. This gives us more than
>>> enough power now for what we need, but it's nice to know that we can
>>> shoehorn a lot more RAM, and up it to eight CPU cores if needed.
>>

>> We have one of these too - ours is signed by Scott McNealy.
>>

> Nice :)
>
>>> The newer Sun Opteron systems look nice too, but unless you're using
>>> external storage, their little 2.5" hard drives may not be ideal.
>>

>> Yes - but they end-of-lifed the V20z and V40z!
>>
> That's quite disappointing to hear -- our V40z isn't even six months
> old! We're not a big company, so external storage solutions are outside
> our price range, but we still wanted a nice brand-name box, and the V40z
> was a great deal compared to smaller boxes like the HP DL385.
>
>> One big problem with the sun line in general is the tiny internal storage
>> capacity - already too small on the V40z at 5/6 drives, now ridiculous
>> at 4
>> SAS drives on the galaxy series.
>
> I'm sure those little SAS drives would be great for web servers and
> other non-IO-intensive tasks though -- I'd love to get some X4100s in to
> replace our Poweredge 1750s for that. It's a smart move overall IMHO,
> but it's certainly not great for database serving.

I notice that Supermicro have recently brought out some Opteron systems,
they are hiding them here:

http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/system/

The 4U's have 8 SATA/SCSI drive bays - maybe still not enough, but
better than 6!

Cheers

Mark