From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: fundraising@postgresql.org
Date
List pgsql-www
Magnus,

> Does the foundation exist at all? ;-)

No, we now have a fund at Software in the Public Interest.  This removes
from us the burden of running an NPO, something we just didn't have the
resources to do.

> I'd say @postgresql.org, just to disagree with your. Or rather, because
> it shuold be clearly shown that it's a part of the core project and not
> some addon - I assume this is for ppl who want to ask question about
> whom to give all their money etc?

<grin> It's a little more complex than that.

What we need is a coordination area for the Fundraising Group.  The FG
will control the funds at Software in The Public Interest, and their
German affiliate, FFIV.  However, there are PostgreSQL NPOs in France
and Japan whose relationship to the FG is not yet defined.

Oh, and before the clamor starts, there will be a membership shuffle in
the FG and new people will be invited to join to make it more
representative of PostgreSQL.org as a whole.  Right now, we're in the
process of drafting a charter ... at least, we were when the mailing
list went down.

So, we currently need one list for the FG.  However, when we speak of
raising money for PostgreSQL in general, that needs to encompass JPUG
and PostgreSQL.Fr, and possibly other organizations in the future.  So
it'll probably be two lists, one for the FG related to the SPI funds and
one for the main coordinating body for money issues which might consist
of representatives from each of the organizations.

Therefore ... I'm leaning towards the pgfoundry project for the FG, at
least until we get organized.

Complicated enough for you?   It's so PostgreSQL!

--Josh Berkus