Re: 8.4.1 ubuntu karmic slow createdb - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Michael Clemmons
Subject Re: 8.4.1 ubuntu karmic slow createdb
Date
Re: 8.4.1 ubuntu karmic slow createdb
List pgsql-performance
Thanks all this has been a good help.
I don't have control(or easy control) over unit tests creating/deleting databases since Im using the django framework for this job.  Createdb takes 12secs on my system(9.10 pg8.4 and ext4)  which is impossibly slow for running 200unittests.  Fsync got it to .2secs or so which is blazing but also the speed I expected being used to 8.3 and xfs.  This dev box is my laptop and the data is litterally unimportant and doesn't exist longer than 20sec but Im all about good practices.  Will definately try synchronous commit tonight once Im done working for the day.  I've got some massive copying todo later though so this will probably help in the future as well.