Re: Best OS & Configuration for Dual Xeon w/4GB & Adaptec - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Miguel
Subject Re: Best OS & Configuration for Dual Xeon w/4GB & Adaptec
Date
List pgsql-performance
Luke Lonergan wrote:

>>>Transfer rates:
>>>       outside:       102400 kbytes in   2.075984 sec =    49326 kbytes/sec
>>>       middle:        102400 kbytes in   2.100510 sec =    48750 kbytes/sec
>>>       inside:        102400 kbytes in   2.042313 sec =    50139 kbytes/sec
>>>

>>I have 6 ultra a320 72G 10k discs
>>

>Yah - ouch.  With 6 drives in a RAID10, you should expect 3 drives worth of
>sequential scan performance, or anywhere from 100MB/s to 180MB/s.  You're
>getting from half to 1/3 of the performance you'd get with a decent raid
>controller.
>
>If you add a simple SCSI adapter like the common LSI U320 adapter to your
>DL380G3 and then run software RAID, you will get more than 150MB/s with less
>CPU consumption.  I'd also expect you'd get down to about 2ms access times.
>
>This might not be easy for you to do, and you might prefer hardware RAID
>adapters, but I don't have a recommendation for you there.  I'd stay away
>from the HP line.

This is my new postgreql 8.1.3 server, so i have many options (in fact,
any option) to choose from, i want maximum performance, if i undestood
you well, do you mean using something like vinum?
i forgot to mention that the 6 discs are in a MSA500 G2 external
storadge, additionally  i have two 36G a320 10k in raid 10 for the os
installed in the server slots.
---
Miguel