Re: Help optimizing a slow index scan - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Dan Harris
Subject Re: Help optimizing a slow index scan
Date
List pgsql-performance
Dan Harris wrote:
> Markus Bertheau wrote:
>> Have you tried using a GIST index on lat & long? These things are
>> meant for two-dimensional data, whereas btree doesn't handle
>> two-dimensional data that well. How many rows satisfy either of the
>> long / lat condition?
>>

> According to the analyze, less than 500 rows matched.  I'll look into
> GIST indexes, thanks for the feedback.
>
> -Dan

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

When I try to create a GIST index, I get the following error:

create index eventgeo_lat_idx on eventgeo using GIST (lat);

ERROR:  data type double precision has no default operator class for
access method "gist"
HINT:  You must specify an operator class for the index or define a
default operator class for the data type.

I'm not sure what a "default operator class" is, exactly..

-Dan