Re: Postgres on VPS - how much is enough?

From: Kevin
Subject: Re: Postgres on VPS - how much is enough?
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Postgres on VPS - how much is enough?  ("Nagita Karunaratne", )
 Re: Postgres on VPS - how much is enough?  ("Matthew Nuzum", )
  Re: Postgres on VPS - how much is enough?  ("Nagita Karunaratne", )
  Re: Postgres on VPS - how much is enough?  ("Marc G. Fournier", )
   Re: Postgres on VPS - how much is enough?  ("Matthew Nuzum", )
    Postgres and Ingres R3 / SAN  ("Jeremy Haile", )
     Re: Postgres and Ingres R3 / SAN  ("Jim C. Nasby", )
      Re: Postgres and Ingres R3 / SAN  (Mark Lewis, )
       Re: Postgres and Ingres R3 / SAN  ("Jim C. Nasby", )
     Re: Postgres and Ingres R3 / SAN  ("Jim Nasby", )
      Re: Postgres and Ingres R3 / SAN  (Josh Berkus, )
   Re: Postgres on VPS - how much is enough?  ("Jim C. Nasby", )
    Re: Postgres on VPS - how much is enough?  (Dave Page, )
     Re: Postgres on VPS - how much is enough?  ("Matthew Nuzum", )
 Re: Postgres on VPS - how much is enough?  (Kevin, )

Nagita Karunaratne wrote:
> How big a VPS would I need to run a Postgres DB.
>
> I need a Postgres database with about 15 tables that will run on a
> single virtual private server.
>
> The 15 tables will be spread over three tablespaces (5 tables per
> tablespace) and be accessed by three different applications running on
> different machines.
>
> One application will add about 500 orders per day
> Another will  access this data to create and send about 500 emails per day
> A third will access this data to create an after-sales survey for at
> most 500 times per day.
>
> What type of VPS would I need to run a database with this type pf load?
> Is 128 MB ram enough?
> What percentage of a 2.8 GHz CPU would be required?

If the database is going to be larger then the allocated memory, disk
I/O is very important.  Not all VPS technologies are equal in this
regard. (see link below)  Like someone else suggested, the best way to
know what VPS specs you need is to do your own tests/benchamarks.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/performance.html

-Kevin