Re: Field size become unlimited in union... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Field size become unlimited in union...
Date
List pgsql-general
> This seems to fail to answer the OPs question.  Specifically, do these
> rules automatically, or at least if #1 is not true, cause typemod
> information to be lost?  IOW, is it because of the unknown that both end up
> up-casted to typemod-less text?

Any mismatch of typmod will result in the merged column being considered
to have no typmod.  There is no provision for identifying a "common
superset" typmod.  It would have to be some type-specific API, since the
encoding of typmod is type-specific; and we don't have one.

            regards, tom lane