Re: Oracle tried to buy MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: Oracle tried to buy MySQL
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
David Fetter wrote:
>> This probably means that the just bought Sleepycat and Innobase in
>> an attempt to scare MySQL into a lower price. ...
>
> I doubt that Oracle is unaware of the players and their roles in
> PostgreSQL's developer organization.

I think it's more a matter of BDB & InnoDB and MySQL's customers
that makes Oracle look there rather than here.

Consider that with Sleepycat now Oracle can claim
   Google's Gmail     is powered by Oracle technology   Microsoft's Groove is powered by Oracle technology   Amazon's
A9Search is powered by Oracle technology   AOL search         is powered by Oracle technology   Yahoo's Finance    is
poweredby Oracle technology

while previously they had little traction in the high-traffic
web space. (I had someone criticize an oracle-based
dotcom company we were trying to sell with the comment
"Oracle may scale technologically, but it doesn't
scale financially".)

And I'm not aware if before BDB Oracle had any embeddable
products like those used in EMC's storage appliances
and Sony's set-top boxes (which both use BDB)

And with InnoDB they can claim Sabre / Travelocity, etc.

I think they had a product-gap in that area, and went for
the players with the biggest customer list there.

I still bet that any Postgresql-based-company that
had advertised comparable customer list would get
Oracle offers very quickly.