Tools ... follow up - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Roderick A. Anderson
Subject Tools ... follow up
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Been rather hectic here so I just got back to all the replies.

And thanks for the pointers.  I hadn't found some of these while
searching the PostgreSQL site or using google.com

---===+++***+++===----

One person asked why move ( from MySQL to PostgreSQL. )  A short list is
( and I know MySQL 5 has or is getting _real-soon-now_ some of these );
  Views, referential integretity, rules, triggers, procedural
language_s_, comments on tables etc.  Plus there is no such thing as a
date of 0000-00-00.

I looked a DBWrench but it didn't run on my mostly stock FC4 system.
The Java guy here is going to figure it out.  Looked like what is needed.

OOo doesn't really offer what we're looking for.  Makes nice drawings
and all but no real design tools.

Eclipse seemed dog slow on my system and I have the fastest in the
house.  A 2Ghz AMD and 1 GByte of RAM.  I also didn't put a lot of time
into it since we mostly use Komodo for coding.

Kexi says it aims to be all the wrong-for-us things.  Maybe I need to
spend more time and see if will allow us to design tables and views.

So at this time I'm sticking with emacs/vi and some paper and pencils.
This has served me well in the past.

Again thanks for the input.

Rod