Re: psql & readline & win32 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: psql & readline & win32
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>"Andrew Dunstan" <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
>

>>The page links to this: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html which
>>lists the BSD licence without the advertising clause as a GPL-compatible
>>free software license, of which it says: "This means you can combine a
>>module which was released under that license with a GPL-covered module to
>>make one larger program."
>>

>You are misinterpreting the intent of that page completely.
>
>What the GNU people mean by "GPL compatible" is that you can combine
>GPL code with code licensed with a compatible license, and then
>redistribute the result UNDER THE GPL.  (There are many licenses for
>which this is not so, and you basically couldn't redistribute such a
>combined work at all.)  There is no situation in which they intend to
>let you redistribute combined works under the other license.

Ok, I accept this. Their wording is certainly unfortunate, especuially
when you combine it with what is said obn the redline home page.

Incidentally, there is a place that libedit is being maintained,
apparently: http://www.thrysoee.dk/editline/

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to build on mingw :-(

cheers

andrew