Re: date format - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Rysdam
Subject Re: date format
Date
List pgsql-general
David Rysdam wrote:

> David Rysdam wrote:
>
>> I could swear (but I don't think I can prove at this point) that 8.0
>> beta3 returned timestamps with milliseconds, like this:
>>
>> YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS.MS
>>
>> But 8.1 isn't doing that.  I see functions to format the date, but
>> that would require me to change all my existing SQL to specifically
>> ask for the milliseconds.  There's also the "set datestyle" thing,
>> but the granularity doesn't exist to specify an exact format such as
>> the above.  Is there a way to tell postgres *exactly* what I want the
>> *default* date output format to be?

>>               http://archives.postgresql.org
>>

> Nevermind, the documentation just seems to be unclear.  I do get .MS
> back in ISO format (despite that not being shown as part of the ISO
> format).  It's just that none of my dates have milliseconds on them,
> which is simply a bug I'll have to find.

OK, sorry to flood on this, but there is still a problem.  If I have no
milliseconds, I'd like to get back ".000" at the end of the output.
Since MS are indeed part of the ISO format, why don't get I get zeros?
Alternatively, if MS aren't part of the ISO format, why do I get non-zeros?