Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL
Date
Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL
List pgsql-performance
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> ---snip---
>> By default, PostgreSQL is configured to run on minimal hardware.  As
>> a result, some tuning of your installation will be necessary before
>> using it for anything other than extremely small databases.  At the
>> very least, it will probably be necessary to increase your shared
>> buffers setting.  See Chapter 16 for details on what tuning options
>> are available to you.
>> ---snip---

> I think we actually need much more than this.

I am about to propose a patch that will cause the default shared_buffers
to be more realistic, say 1000, on machines where the kernel will allow
it.  Not sure if people will let me get away with applying it
post-feature-freeze, but if so that would change the terms of this
debate noticeably.

            regards, tom lane