Switchover : WAL archiving and shutdown... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Philippe Ferreira
Subject Switchover : WAL archiving and shutdown...
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I'm setting up switchover (to another server) with WAL/PITR.

But, I'm wondering what could be the behaviour of Postgresql if you
shutdown the
service while a new WAL archive is just ready to be copied, or if the
transfer is in
progress...
Will the tranfer be canceled (until the next start), or will Postgresql
wait for the end
of the transfer before exiting ?

In other words, when I want to switchover, is it sufficient to stop
postgresql,
and rsync the last partial WAL (the last modified one), or do I have to
check if
every WAL file is in sync before starting the other server ??

Thank you in advance,
Philippe Ferreira